FruHubs has, once again, created a plate of delicious brown food. Eat up, buttercup.
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 3- to 4-inch-long meaty beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
Coarse kosher salt
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup cubed, peeled carrots
1 cup cubed celery
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 750-ml bottle Zinfandel
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Orange zest (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Heat two tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy, large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
3. Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper.
4. Add to pot in single layer and sauté until brown on all sides, about three minutes on each of four sides.
5. Transfer ribs to large bowl, reserving oil.
6. Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and sauté until brown, about six minutes.
7. Add in garlic, then add tomato paste and stir until brown.
8. Add rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf.
9. Add wine and broth; bring to boil. Don’t forget to scrape up the delicious brown stuff from the bottom of the pot!
10. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot, arranging in single layer.
11. Bring to simmer; cover and place in oven.
12. Braise until ribs are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
13. When there are about 20 minutes left, zest the peel of one orange into the sauce.
14. Using tongs, transfer ribs to clean bowl.
15. Remove fat from pan juices with a spoon.
16. Boil juices until just beginning to thicken, about 10 minutes.
17. Mix 1 tablespoon oil and flour in small bowl to smooth paste. Whisk into the juices in pot; simmer until thickened enough to coat spoon, about 5 minutes longer. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
18. Return ribs to pot and spoon gravy over them.
FruHubs served this with Mushroom Risotto and Kale cooked using his famous greens recipe. One day, FruHo hopes to force that recipe out of him because it is the best thing ever. Until then, enjoy these