Think comfort foods that remind you of home.*
Tomato Basil Soup
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Ice Cream Sandwiches Ahoy
Arnold Palmers - iced tea and lemonade
Arnold Palmeroskis - iced tea-flavored vodka and lemonade
*leave a comment if you'd like the recipes.
U-Haul chic - use what you have.
- Turn your yet-to-be unpacked boxes into tables by covering with cloths.
- Twist brown paper packing wrap into abstract blossoms. Tie with colorful ribbons and stick into wide-mouthed glass vessels.
- Fill tall glass cylinders with packing peanuts; arrange in sets of three.
- Tie up napkin rolls with twine.
- Use duct tape and Sharpies to label cups.
- Stack small boxes in groups of two and three down the middle of your table, broken up with candles in different colors.
Housewarming Gift Ideas:
Cheap but thoughtful gestures of welcome.
Condiment Kit - One of the worst things about setting up a new house is that you're missing all of the condiments you built up in the fridge over time. Fill a basket, bucket, or box with four or five condiments from the grocery store - frugal, and appreciated!
Cleaning Certificate - For a twist on your childhood standby, offer your friend two hours of your time for organizing, laundry-folding, sweeping, or whatever you do best/hate least. Write down three specific dates and times for him to choose from so that this gift actually gets used. A nice variation: take her kids for two hours so she can get something done without interruption.
Neighborhood Scoop - For someone new to your hood, type up a page of tips and suggestions with phone numbers, websites, directions, etc. Include library, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. After you do this once and buy a few nice folders or envelopes for it, this is an easy, ready-made gift that takes very little extra effort.
photo of box by ahhyeah; condiments by corporatemonkey