OK, there weren't really that many restaurants and wineries.
It reminded TFH that it's as important to be a good (and frugal) guest as it is to be a good hostess. As the opportunity to be a guest will most likely cross your path at some point in the next couple of months, here is FruHo's Guide to Being a Lovely Guest.
1. Arrive on time for pre-game events, such as dinner before the theater or drinks before a party. Seriously, you will totally jack up everything if you don't. For bigger parties, be between 10 and 20 minutes late, but not more than that. (And those of you who are shaking your head because TFH has been later than that to your party, hush. FruHubs is slower than a turtle, and it's all his fault.)
2. Par-freaking-ticipate. Seriously. You have no one to blame but yourself if you don't have fun, and you should really help everyone else do the same. See a shy guy near the cheese dip? Pretend that you are getting paid to be there, and make yourself saunter over. If you have ever been the person whose friend hasn't arrived yet, you should appreciate the absolute shame shower that pours down on you when there's no one to talk to. Share your social umbrella and make conversation.
3. If you bring something and start consuming it (a bottle, a cake, a jar of pickled pigs feet), don't take it with you when you leave. That is so weird. Consume what the host provides and leave your crap at home, or bring something to share. You can't have it both ways, swinger.
5. If you don't like something you are served, you can either eat it anyway (reason #447 why TFH is fat) or say that you're allergic. Unless you are asked directly, you can't say you don't like something. You are not four.
6. Do not hit on the host; steal something out of a cabinet; drop a baby on his head; or throw up in a closet. TFH may or may not have done some or all of these things, and they are never charming.
The Frugal Hostess is doing Eat on $30 this week and donating the difference to Wholesome Wave. They are a great charity. Just sayin'. Have you subscribed to this blog yet? No? Dork.